Sunday, January 31, 2010

Food, Inc.


Matt and I watched Food, Inc. last night. The movie basically shows where food comes from - the enormous slaughter houses, industrial farms and factories controlled by a handful of the world's largest corporations. It was eye-opening, alarming, and disturbing. Most of the food I eat is "genetically modified" - even the seemingly natural fruits, vegetables, and meats. And even worse - the animals that produce meat products are treated deplorably, and the employees are not treated much better (most of them immigrants). I understand that the directors had an agenda, but there isn't any denying many of their claims.

I admit, I was about as cynical as they come towards organic foods. To me it just seemed like a bunch of mumbo jumbo hype - the latest craze in the food world. I thought Whole Foods was for two types of people - yuppies who feel hip and cool shopping there, or granola eating weirdos. But after watching this movie, I feel differently. I don't want to support what I feel is detrimental to humans, animals, and the environment.

So, we are going to start buying more organic and more from our local farmer's market. Luckily, we have a Whole Foods a block from us. I'm not naive - I know it will be hard (for me!), and more expensive. But it's worth it. I'm sure we'll still go to the "normal" grocery store...just not as often. And I'm sure I haven't visited McDonalds for the last time in my life. But, I will be thinking about food differently.

I'll let you know how it goes;)


And just in case you need a little humor in your day...


1 comments:

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

I LOVE whole foods!!! can't wait to get back to st. louis so I can go!! You can find just about anything you need.....but every now and then I just have to go to the regular grocery store and get some real coke and real doritos :)

Jenny

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...