Friday, June 26, 2009

Pound Cake

My family is coming in town today and we are celebrating a late Father's Day tonight, so I made a pound cake (my dad, and our whole family's favorite)! And my mom is bringing fresh Georgia peaches that she picked up at Lane Packing Co. last week in Perry, GA! I am so excited!

I love to bake, and my favorite thing to bake is a pound cake. Growing up, mom made a pound cake to celebrate every occasion, and I like to do the same now too. It is VERY rare for me to make a cake with icing or a pie! It just doesn't seem like summer without a homemade pound cake, fresh peaches, and homemade vanilla ice cream!

I use the same recipe that my mom used growing up, but for some reason I have never been able to make a pound cake that doesn't "fall". When it comes out of the oven it looks perfect, and then 10 minutes later the cake has fallen a few inches in the middle. It drives me crazy! In fact, Matt now tries to discourage me from making them because he knows how upset I get! (Last night when I was making this he told me if he wrote a book about our marriage he'd have to devote a whole chapter to pound cakes). The one I made last night didn't fall!! I was so excited. Now, only a few more hours before I can try it...

**UPDATE - Here is the recipe:

1 c butter, softened
1/2 c shortening
3 c sugar
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 c sifted cake flour
1 t baking powder
1/8 t salt
6 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 t almond extract

Cream butter and shortening. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add cream cheese, beating until fluffy. Alternately add flour and eggs, beginning and ending with flour (which has been sifted with baking powder and salt). Stir in vanilla and almond. Pour into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour 15 min. Cool in pan 15 min before removing.

post signature

1 comments:

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...[Reply to comment]

This pound cake looks so good! You should post the recipe :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...