Saturday, November 27, 2010

An open letter to my beautiful wife


It's hard to believe that it was almost 20 years ago when we met up on bikes after school behind the Winn Dixie store so you could trade "love" notes with my best friend, over 13 years ago when we shyly and stiffly swayed to the music together at Glynn Academy's Homecoming dance, 6 years exactly since you wore a beautiful white dress and we swore vows of love and faithfulness to each other in the presence of God and almost everyone we knew.

Mil, when I think of our life together, I think of it being weighty.  That is, while it is often fun and rewarding, more importantly it feels significant, like we're investing in something that is really meaningful. I think of you weeping with me over the breakdown of my family a decade ago, or more recently, grieving with me and holding me tight countless times since we lost my dad last month.  I think of us working through difficult decisions together, like moving across the country so I could go back to school, far from our family and friends and the life we had built together in Atlanta.  I think of you sharing things that our goofy and wonderful son did during the day as we lay beside each other in the dark before drifting off to sleep, or us making up songs and singing them together as we go through the familiar rhythms of our weekend.  I think of us arguing and making up, sometimes repeating the process several times in a single day.

You know me so well - the minutiae of my daily routines, the stories I tell too often when together with friends, my sometimes quirky personality, my whole history, my soul.

On our annual Thanksgiving anniversary, I am so thankful that we share our lives together, that my grief is your grief, your fear is my fear, my joy is your joy, your interests are my interests, my family is your family, and vice versa.  I am thankful that we share finances and a home and our faith in the grace of Christ.  I am thankful that we share a son, Will, a running, playing, giggling representation of our life together.

I love you, Miller.  Thank you for sharing your life with me.  Let's make many more wonderful memories together.

Matt




4 comments:

Mary Beth said...[Reply to comment]

WOW...what a sweet post! So thankful for you two! Your love for each other is evident! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

wow, that was a sweet post! it has been fun watching you two grow as individuals and as a couple! I can remember many talks with you when you two first started dating! Your marriage is a great example of a partnership and a commitment to each other and to the Lord. You seem to not only support each other but also challenge each other to where as each of you grow as individuals, your marriage also grows stronger. congratulations, Matt, on finding such a great friend, partner and wife! lots of love to you both! lulu

Fran Pierce said...[Reply to comment]

Happy Anniversary to my favorite couple! I'm so
blessed to witness first-hand your living out your vows, and to be the proud grandmother of your first-born! I love you both SO much!!
Mom

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

hAPPY Anniversary!! xox Casey Eric and Otto

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...