Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Unbroken


I just finished reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It is the incredible true story of Lou Zamperini, who ran in the Olympics in Berlin and shook Hitler's hand, and then later joined the air force during WWII. After his plane crashed into the Pacific, he floated on a raft for several weeks. He fought sharks and struggled to survive without food…and when he finally saw a plane, it was the Japanese, who shot at him! But that wasn't the worst of it. After being taken as a prisoner of war by the Japanese, he endured extreme abuse. I thought I knew how it was going to end. I was wrong, but I won't spoil it for you! I can't believe I had never heard of this guy before - what an amazing story! I highly recommend this book!

1 comments:

Dad said...[Reply to comment]

Mill,
Your great uncle, Jack Miller, was a B-29 pilot on the first land based B-29 raid on Japan. He was later transferred back to the US to train new pilots. One of his pupils was Tippets, who later dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.
Dad

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...